What do you see? Are you a visionary or someone with a good idea?
Good ideas, unfortunately, are no longer in short supply, thanks to brainstorming and idea generating techniques. Good ideas are no longer what differentiates the perceived potential success of one start up from another either. Leaders with vision, however, are not so common. They possess a different value system.
So what is a visionary leader?
A visionary leader is someone who can sort through a sea of ideas and identify a select few to weave together into a plan that they know will make a difference in the world.
- Embody clear core values. Visionary leaders are able to show others their strength of will and personal integrity by tenaciously focusing on multiple related ideas; which usually leads to real change. Real innovation takes a lot of time. It took decades for Bill Gates and Steve Jobs to realize their vision.
- Communicate Inspirationally. Visionary leaders usually start by communicating an inspirational picture of the future that weave their ideas into the frame for others to see. The best ones can make the impossible look easy, so everyone, including investors, line up to commit.
- Build strong relationships. Great relationships are key to every leader. Visionaries see people as their greatest asset, and listen as well as talk. Visionaries don’t tell people what to do, but treat partners, investors, and customers like family and listen to their advice and often follow their input and suggestions.
- Take bold actions. To create something truly “outside the box” requires being able to anticipate business change, rather than react to current events. Visionaries are always a little ahead of their time.
- Radiate charisma. Those blessed with vision can communicate ideas with almost a spiritual charisma that energizes people around them. This energy translates into their willingness to jump in and help solve a technical problem, sign on as a team member, or invest resources when conventional wisdom might suggest otherwise.
Are you a visionary leader? How do you express what you see? Do you repeatedly see the same thing over and over again that others do not?
The choice is yours what you do with what you see.
However, a visionary leader would be the one who sees the opportunity as a mission that they are compelled to work towards on a daily basis. A visionary leader will find a way to sustain their effort until their vision is realized. A visionary leader will attract followers, supporters, believers and helpers to make their vision come to life.
Someone with a good idea would not be that emotionally invested. Someone with a good idea is the one who would be looking for an easier score. Someone with a good idea would be looking for the immediate pay off.
Which person are you?
About Lisa Canning
What motivates you to explore your creativity? Follow me @IAEOU